CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Devon Joseph Smith


I can't believe that Joe and Annie's baby is already one week old today. But then he wasn't even due until October 9th or 10th. Even though he was nine days early, it's about time I am getting around to my blog. I'm still not in the groove, as you must have noticed by now. They knew a boy was coming, but they couldn't decide on a name. All of us were giving her suggestions, but they finally came up with Devon Joseph Smith. They wanted a name that was a little bit out of the ordinary because of the very common last name of Smith; so they didn't want Michael, David, etc. And they wanted a name that couldn't be shortened, like from Charles to Charlie or Steven to Steve. And no similar sounds slurring from first name to last, so it couldn't be Max or Alex. He was born on September 30, Tuesday's child, but didn't have a name until Wednesday. Devon Joseph Smith, going by Devon, of course, since there are four previous Joseph Smiths on his dad's side, and besides, Joseph is usually shortened to Joe. He was born at 7:33 a.m. and weighed 7 lbs. 2.4 oz. I'm not the slightest bit prejudiced when I say he is one gorgeous baby boy! Remember that I volunteer once a week at Tucson Medical Center in the newborn nursery and have been there for fourteen years now, and have seen a lot of babies. Annie and Joe are darling parents. It's been fun to watch them. I knew Annie would take right to it because she has always been so very cute with babies, but with Joe I wasn't exactly sure because I don't remember ever seeing him even hold any of our other babies. And when he was handed his son, right after birth, he said, "Now what do I do with it?" ("It"?)The way I understand it is that he wasn't even cradling him...just kind of holding him out like a football. Too funny. Likely we will never let him forget it either. But he has gotten into the groove of fatherhood real quickly...changed diapers at the hospital and everything. I think it was cute of him to tell me that he wants to be an involved parent, even though he was nervous to change diapers because of the circumcision. This is such a bonus time for me as a parent to watch my own kids take on parenthood. Annie and Joe are already doing a wonderful job; I'm very proud of them. I've been taking meals in to them since they have gotten home from the hospital, so for five days now I've gotten to observe them. One funny thing Annie said a couple of days ago..."It was a sad day today. I realized my cats are not my babies." Annie and Joe have both been such cat lovers for such a long time that I wondered how they would transition. Move over Samson and Jasmin...Devon has just knocked you off your pedestals. I can laugh, but it happened to me, too, with our dog, Chuy. I'm embarrassed to say, but it's true...when I was expecting Ben, I actually said, "I wonder if I will love this baby as much as I love this dog." The minute he was born, however, I instantly fell in love with him, and Chuy took the back burner.

4 comments:

Kate said...

I said the same thing to Dan the other day. I was holding him like a baby having a typical conversation..."who's a good kitty" Then I asked him point blank if any baby could be as precious as him and if I would love them more. The jury is still out. Let's just hope the baby will like to snuggle more than dan.

Kim said...

Congrats on adding another baby to your growing list of grandkids. I think this is only the 2nd boy, right? How neat to have him so close so you can visit often. Love to all!

annieareyouok said...

I have to admit (and I'm not predjudiced either) but he is a VERY cute baby ;)Thank you for all the dinners Mama!

Johnson-n-Johnson said...

Hey Sister Turner~

Congratulations on your new grandbaby boy. He is darling. And, Annie will be a wonderful mommy.

Brandi Brewer Johnson