CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, April 17, 2009

No Smoking Allowed

No Smoking Allowed
I have a story to tell.
It happened at Austin's last night, after square dancing.
We always go there for ice cream with our friends Bernie and Dottie.
As we pulled into the parking lot I noticed one of our regular waiters
smoking outside the building.
He came over to take our order, and I said,
"Was that you smoking outside the building?!" "Yes."
Then I said something like, "Cigarettes will kill you, you know.
And I like you and I would be very sad if that happened. I think you should stop smoking."
He said, "OK." Just like that.
Later in the evening when he came back around to our table I said,
"If you're going to quit smoking you might as well give me your cigarettes."
And he handed over the pack.
Because it was mostly full
Bernie thought I should leave it on the table. No Way!
Then I had a brilliant idea...I had taken cookies to the Square Dance
and had about four dozen left over, so I sent Paul to the car to get them.
I asked one of the employees for a take-out container and put all the cookies in it.
On our way out I gave the cookies to that young man.
He acted pretty tickled about it, actually, and
shared with fellow employees, giving me the "thumbs up."
I was glad I had so many cookies left over because
it made for a better "trade." Also it was quite the coincidence
that I even had cookies at all, let alone think about giving them away.
I hope this story has a happy, successful ending.
Family Favorites: Snickerdoodles and Whirligigs.

5 comments:

annieareyouok said...

you are so funny with your pictures, but they are great and really help the story. smoking is gross ... cookies save lives. keep saving lives mom.

Kim said...

Every time you go in for ice cream, have some cookies and make sure he gives you any cigarettes. It's a good trade-off.

Kate said...

way to go mom...sometimes people need a little push from a caring/butting in individual, i'm glad it was you so you could share your story with us.

findingbenjamin said...

I'm assuming the next step is to start baking vegetables into the mix?

Anonymous said...

As usual, I love to snoop your writings. This one was particularly good. Thanks for sharing.