CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, August 21, 2008

Hobbies (Tippety Tap)

Last January we went to the annual Tucson Square Dance Festival. While we were taking a break from dancing, we watched the men and women do their "clogging". It looked like so much fun!, so right then and there I decided I wanted to take lessons. One good thing about clogging is that you don't need a partner. I had already gotten Paul to square dance with me, so I didn't want to push my luck. I simply told him that I wanted to learn and would he mind. Not at all. And I didn't even hint at his taking the class because, in the first place, I really was fine in taking the class alone; I didn't even feel the need to find a girlfriend to go with me. So a year ago now I took the beginning clogging class. The reason I have labeled it "tippety tap" is that the shoes have a double tap, and therefore make a double tap sound. It was either Paul or Jane who started calling it "tippety tap." Even my little granddaughters will say things like, "Gramma, when are you going to "tippety tap" again? because I want to do it with you." I kind of struggled in the beginning because I am not a quick learner. But I bought the instructor's cd's and started practicing. He left town for the summer, so there were no classes, and if I wanted to advance to the next level, I knew I would have to practice alone with the cd's all summer long. And it's no punishment, believe me. The music is a little annoying, however. I'm not big on country. All right, I meant the music is a lot annoying, but it is what it is. I have three different cd's, some purely going over the steps and some with actual cued dances. I'm not intimidated any more and don't mind dancing, all by myself, with anyone watching. Not that people are running to watch...I just don't mind if they do. It's good exercise, too, for mind and body. One other good thing is that most of the people in my class are "older". I originally would have thought that it would be a young person's hobby because of the fast movement, but not necessarily so. The only bad part is that I have a hard time quitting to go and do laundry, fix meals, get showered for the day, read, etc. anything...it's just too much fun to stop. The kids are having a hayday with my new hobby. It is pretty comicle.

2 comments:

Jim said...

I have to admit I thought you had gone off your Rocker practicing when staying over..
because of the lack of space I remember working on the computer and knowing right behind me with your headphones on you were going to town hopping up and down.
But I'm glad you're having fun.. And I'm sure the kids have a blast with it as well..

when is the next trip to the boat?

Kate said...

I am officially starting tap in 2 weeks. I need to go get some shoes, but I'm very excited. You are so cute when you tapa tapa tapa.